Tuesday 7 March 2023

New cabinet

I’ve been looking for a new cabinet to display miniatures in for quite some time. I scoured the internet for quite a while.

Typically I would grab something from IKEA but they really let me down. The Billy bookcases were out of stock. Besta no longer sells the narrow depth cabinets in the 6 foot tall version and Kallax has these really cool clear door inserts that aren’t available in Canada.

I was thinking I would be stuck waiting until Billy came back in stock or having something custom made, when gate smiled down upon me.

A large steel cabinet with sliding glass doors was being tossed. I asked nicely and was told I could have it. Success!

It is ugly, heavy and doesn’t have the modularity of IKEA or something custom BUT the price was right so I’ll make do. 

However it was going in a dark corner of my basement (no electrical plug available without extension cord) so I needed to source some type of lighting for the cabinet.



I found a three pack of these motion sensor, LED, rechargeable, and magnetic lights for $35.99 on Amazon. Added them to the cart (total $39.53) the next day I had them.

My budget this year is now $274.51+39.53 for a grand total of $314.04. Not bad by Hotlead is just over 2 weeks away.

I removed the shelves and the glass doors (so heavy on their own) and cleaned the tracks. I added graphite to the wheels. I brought everything downstairs and reassembled it.  I added the lights to the top three shelves. I also added an old IKEA mirror I had in an unused cabinet to the top space for extra light.



Here’s the overall look. The bottom space is dark. I’ll likely store boxed projects there for the time being.



The top space contains my RCW Makhnovists to the left of the tank. The tank to the right contains my WWI Germans. In front of the tank are some pilots and assorted NPCs for RCW/WWI.

The middle shelf had my RCW Bolsheviks and allies.

The bottom shelf has my RCW Whites and allies.  

Below is my wall mounted shelf which used to hold most of my Reds and half of my whites plus the Back of Beyond characters, vehicles and Turks on the third shelf. My WWII American 101st airborne now occupy the top two shelves.



That’s all for now. Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment