Friday 10 March 2023

Russian Civil War game

This past weekend, my youngest son asked to play with some soldiers. I happily obliged. I decided to use the Squad Hammer rule variant October Hammer. I first played Squad Hammer last March and really enjoy the ruleset.

Here’s the table. It’s a basic attack and defend scenario. The attackers (on the hills in the two top corners) have to claim the barn from the defenders. My son was the attacking Bolsheviks and  I was the defending Makhnovists.



To the right of the barn, the Bolsheviks deployed two squads and a machine gun team. They advanced on squad to behind the broken down farm wagon. My squad in the right paddock met them and engaged in combat. My squad eventually wiped out the other but were wiped out in turn by the machine gun and other squad.









On the left flank, one squad of Bolsheviks worked their way past the outbuilding. I left cover again and saw them off after a firefight supported by my machine gun team. I pushed the offensive and stormed the hill to flank the outbuilding but was cut down by field gun and machine gun squad. 
The other Bolshevik squad (behind the hill in the top picture) also worked their way down the left flank.







Back to the right flank, one Bolshevik squad entered the paddock and began to flank the barn. They were heard by my machine gun team who wiped them out.

My machine gun team and a squad I had hanging out at the front of the barn we wiped out from several rounds of shooting from the machine guns and field gun.




Meanwhile back on the left flank, the last Bolshevik squad got into the left paddock. I could have charged them with my last squad and tied them up but chose to engage in a firefight instead as my son was close to victory. 

He got inside the barn and eliminated my leader for the win. 





I’ve really enjoyed Squad Hammer and the October Hammer variant. I’ve played it once at a convention and 2-3 times since at home. Maybe one day someone will put a review on YouTube. Maybe that will be me. 

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment