Sunday 10 August 2014

So what's this all about?

A little over a week ago I posted a picture of three Allied tanks I had built. A discerning eye might recognize them as belonging to the WWII era. But what am I working on?

Well, waaay back on Friday March 21st, 2014, I attended Hotlead, Ontario's premier wargaming convention, held in Stratford, Ontario with my dad.

 We decided to attend the Friday gaming night instead of just attending on the Saturday (raiding the bring and buy).

We managed to get in on a 28mm WWII game put on by a GM named Brad. The game used the Rules of Engagement (RoE) ruleset modified with a modified dice initiative from Bolt Action.

The objective of the game was an annihilation scenario between the Canadian and German armies.

Each force consisted of an HQ, two infantry squads, an anti-tank unit, machine gun unit and a tank. Each unit had a coloured marble in a bag ( Canadian=green and German = white). There was also a black marble in the bag. So if a green marble was drawn by the GM, the Canadians could activate any unit that hadn't been activated yet. And vice versa for any white marbles drawn. The black marble ended the turn.

My father and I teamed up against another father and son tandem. We were the Canadians. We won the game with the narrowest of victories with an immobilized Sherman and 4 troops still alive.

 That night, I picked up a copy of RoE and a boxed set each of Warlord's British Red Devils and German Fallschirmjagers from J&M Miniatures.

The next morning, I raided the bring and buy and had fleshed out a legal Fallschirmjager list. Brad the GM was putting on a second game, this time with double the infantry units and 4 tanks. My dad and I opted to be the Germans this time.

The objective of this mission was to hold the most objectives by the end of the game. Several turns later, after knocking out the last Allied tank while still having all 4 of our tanks in play, we were looking good. We managed to hold the most objectives when the game ended to earn another hard fought win.

This blog will document my foray in WWII gaming focusing on the RoE ruleset and possibly others at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment